IACA Promotes Anti-Corruption Education at FfD Conference

IACA delivered a strong anti-corruption message last week at the Third United Nations International Conference on Financing for Development (FfD) in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

This major global conference, which ran from 13 - 16 July, discussed how to finance the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda and the proposed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It came shortly before the United Nations summit to adopt the Post-2015 Development Agenda in New York in September.

In his speech during the high-level segment, Martin Kreutner, Dean and Executive Secretary of IACA, said that the fight against corruption needs to be a prominent part of the Post-2015 agenda. He emphasized that investing in anti-corruption education and empowering professionals is the smart way towards sustainable development, safeguarding human rights, and strengthening the rule of law.

“When I consider our chances of success, I feel both optimistic and afraid,” Kreutner said. “I am optimistic that the sustainable development agenda is achievable—provided we work together to turn the tide towards greater prosperity and equity. But I am also afraid that all the SDGs—and their financing—run the risk of being severely undermined by corruption.”

Kreutner also had bilateral meetings with several high-level delegates to the conference, participated in various roundtables, and held a press briefing for international journalists. In addition, the IACA delegation organized a side event on how anti-corruption education can contribute to sustainable development.

The conference adopted an outcome document called the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, which reaffirms the importance of “combating corruption at all levels and in all its forms”. However, the document also says that the Post-2015 Development Agenda, including the SDGs, “must be underpinned by equally ambitious and credible means of implementation”.

To read and download the outcome document, click here.

Tags:

Follow Us

Download our App

Explore

Visit

Legal

Laxenburg/Vienna, Austria  |  T: +43 2236 710 718 101

© 2021 IACA. Developed by IACA.